Ten: "Checkin' out some Fromm, some Sartre, Camus"

(with apologies to Cartier-Bresson and an anonymous photographer)

Aaaaah yes... With the air now tinged with April warmth, birds' cat-calling from the trees and just the slightest promise of good times ahead, I can't help but turn to one of my favourite feel-good rap-albums, with the ridiculously presumptuous title "Reachin' A New Refutation Of Time And Space". Yes, it's the Digable Planets or DP's, heralding from an era when that acronym didn't immediately conjure up wild, triple x-rated shenanigans. From the jazzy basslines and hard drumbeats to the laidback, smooth delivery of uniquely literate lines, this music never fails to put a smile on my face. And even after ten years of listening to the album, I am still finding little nuggets of information throughout: my recent discovery of Erich Fromm's name being dropped in "NY is Red Hot" being a case in point. I must admit, the whole revolutionary, class-struggle theme underlying DP's work was entirely lost on me at the time as well, and knowing it now only serves to enhance my esteem for the music.

So, if you need a break from the tedium of whatever you should be doing at this moment, check the album below and check this page, just to find out what Fromm would think of you, were you to land on his couch one early Spring morning.

"And we out, out, out..."

http://rapidshare.de/files/16226220/DP-REF.rar.html

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a great site » »