One: The Average White Band
















I didn't really know these guys' music until I got my rapidshare-hands on their Very Best collection. I did know that some of their stuff had been sampled by hip hop artists but I couldn't remember which songs/artists etc. So what a pleasant surprise to hear within the space of 15 minutes two ultra-recognisable samples: YZ's Thinking of a Masterplan (from the AWB track Person to Person) and then, four tracks later, Eric B. and Rakim's Microphone Fiend (from the AWB track Schoolboy Crush)! And that's just the ones I picked up on... It reminds me of when I used to listen to hip hop cd's in the record stores, and as soon as the headphones were in place, it was time to leaf through the cd booklet, to find out A: whether the lyrics were reprinted, B: who had produced the track and C: what samples had been used. Except that now, some ten years later, I am finally getting round to the original music itself, rather than just the "obscure" samples... And I suppose I should round off this post by giving you a link to the music, but I am still working on that, so, patience please!

http://rapidshare.de/files/10840761/awb.rar.html

Comments

h.n. said…
Looks all right, Caribbright

Cheers